Alternative Spring Break Weekend Trip 2020
Alternative Break Trips are an opportunity to serve alongside a different communities to explore and address prominent social issues affecting that community, discover your perceptions of influence surrounding the trip topic, and is a great way to build relationships across our state, the nation, and the world. This year's trip will be held the first weekend of spring break, March 7 & 8, 2020. This year we are heading to Biloxi, MS to engage in a coastal cleanup service project to address the conservation of the local marine environment. We will explore how nonprofits are addressing issues with waste and pollution, explore Land and Marine environmentalism, and enjoy the area. Saturday night, we will stay at Camp Wilkes, following our afternoon of volunteering with MSU Extentsion: MS Coastal Clean-up. The trip does have a fee of $50, which will be billed to your university student account after you have been accepted to attend. This fee covers; transportation, lodging, food, and recreation while on the trip.
Please take time to fill out the following application. The application deadline is February 25, 2020 at 11:59pm. You will be notified shortly after about your participation status.
Things to know:
- This an immersive experience! We will travel together, grocery shop together, cook meals together, sleep in shared spaces (cabins with bunk beds), limit our use of technology, as well as serve together!
- This is a community experience - not only do we want to build relationships with the folx attending the trip, but with the organization partners as well!
- We will enter spaces not as the expert, so be open to new knowledge! We want to recognize that we will unlearn and relearn everyday.
- These spaces are unfamiliar to us so, we need to be aware of our surroundings, as well as operate from the lens as a guest of the community.
- And have a great time! Our trips are crafted to have a service and educational focus, but we also take time to explore the area!
Don't want to go alone? Invite a friend to join you! Click Here to Apply!
Please email Jaycee Smith (firstname.lastname@example.org) regarding any questions or concern you my have!